Note: At this time the National Park Service Visitor Center is closed. Its managing partner, the Gettysburg Foundation, is also closed. Visitors at this time will not be able to see the Cyclorama painting or visit the museum. Accordingly, no guided tours will originate at that facility. Since the center is closed all traditional Guide tours will be arranged by phoning the reservation line at 717-337-1709.
The Gettysburg Heritage Center, located at 297 Steinwehr Avenue is also accepting reservations for Guide-led auto tours. You may contact them at 717-334-6245. Guides may be available at the Heritage Center daily from 9 AM until 4 PM on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reservations for guide services can be made in up to 48-hours in advance. If you know when you will be visiting the park and desire to guarantee the services of your own personal guide for you or your family, be certain to make arrangements well in advance. The best way to do this is to call the ALBG Reservations line at 717-337-1709. This phone is answered when someone is working in the guide office. We have no full-time office employees and at any given time, guides will be out in the field conducting tours. Please leave a message. It is checked daily each evening around 5 PM and someone from the Association will be back in touch to finalize your arrangements. generally the same evening you call but certainly within 24 hours.
DO NOT CALL BACK BEFORE THAT TIME as it will result in duplicate reservations.
Please leave your contact information, as well as, what day you are planning on touring and any special requests such as:
1. Length of tour, if longer than the normal two-hour duration. Note: Tours during this time will be 3-Hour Tours.
2. Special focus – concentrate on specific actions, units, events of the battle. Note: Not all guides will be working so specific name requests or focus topics MAY not be possible to accommodate.
3. Number of participants.
4. Requested time frame. If less or more than 3-hours.
NOTE: In order to maintain social distancing Guides are going to do three-hour caravan tours exclusively. Your guide will meet your party at a pre-arranged place -likely the parking area of the Gettysburg Heritage Center. After giving basic instructions on safety and tour logistics, the Guide will drive their own car. You and your party will follow in your car. At each stop everyone will get out and meet to hear the story. The tour has been extended an additional hour to allow for the additional stops required by this tour format.
Our rates for personal guided tours of the Gettysburg battlefield are set by the Federal Government:
$63 for 1 to 6 people.
$83 for 7 to 15 people.
$132 for 16 people and up.
For the 3-Hour Caravan tour the price will be $94.50. This will cover up to six people travelling in your own vehicle. Van and bus tours will be prorated the additional hour as detailed below.
This fee covers the total number of people specified above on a comprehensive two-hour tour. Additional hours may be added as part of the reservation at a prorated hourly fee ($31.50 for 1-6; $41.50 for 7-15; $66.00 per hour for 16 and up).
At this time the following paragraph does not apply due to the continued closure of the Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor Center. Gettysburg Foundation reservation system is closed down for the duration of the building closure.
The National Park Service has allowed their management partner, the Gettysburg Foundation, to handle Licensed Guide Services for the Visitor Center complex. In return the Foundation is permitted to add a ticketing surcharge of $10-$15 per reservation on top of the guide fee. If you hire one of our guides at the visitor center for a car of five people the charge will be $75. That same car tour when arranged directly with ALBG at 717-337-1709 will cost $63. – the surcharge does not apply!
Items #1 and #2 below are suspended for the duration of this COVID-19 Pandemic emergency. Reservation requests can be made up to 48-hours before your requested tour time. Requests made within the 48-hour limit are subject to Guide availability.
During the busy travel months MAY THROUGH AUGUST tour requests must be made a MINIMUM of FIVE days before the date of your requested tours. We will NOT be able to locate a tour guide with open time on their schedules anytime within that short period. 2. During the off-season, SEPTEMBER THROUGH APRIL tour requests can be accepted up to two days before your planned visit. Requests of less than 48 hours in advance of your requested time will not be accepted. Arrange to make your reservation as far in advance as possible.
3. Guide reservations are for personal tours in YOUR VEHICLE.
There must be room in that vehicle to safely accommodate the guide as well as all members of your party. As explained above the Guide is not permitted to travel in your vehicle during the emergency. The Guide will lead you in their personal car. You and your party will follow in your own vehicle.
Upon request, your guide will drive your vehicle to allow you maximum opportunity to look around and actually see the battlefield without worrying about traffic. There is no additional charge for this service. Not permitted. Suspended at this time.
5. Name request for a specific guide will be honored when possible. Should the named guide not be available another will be contacted. This will still be honored if possible. Please keep in mind that many Guides have opted to discontinue touring at this time and your requested LBG may not be available.
6. Tour fees are established annually by the US Department of the Interior / National Park Service. This fee is payable directly to the individual guide at the time of the tour. Gratuities are at your discretion.
7. Only officially tested and licensed Guides are legally permitted to conduct paid tours of the battlefield. All such individuals are required to wear the badge of the LBG (depicted above). Guides hired through our office OR through the National Park Visitor Center will be wearing this badge. Other types of private tour companies utilize the NPS uniformed Licensed Battlefield Guide. Other individuals and companies using non-authorized guides are to be taken at your own risk. They have no relationship with the National Park Service, are not tested and licensed to ensure quality and are not bound by Park Service regulations. ONLY NPS Licensed Guides wearing the authorized badge are permitted to accept fees for conducting tours of the Gettysburg National Military Park.
Many of our partner companies listed below are also permitted to resume operations. Please contact them if interested in inquiring about scheduling their tours.
Please note that we can ONLY accept reservations for individuals and commercial tour companies desiring personal guides for battlefield tours in cars. Those desiring guided horse tours, motorcycle tours, bicycle tours, or guided segway tours must make those reservations through the websites of those companies. They do use only NPS-licensed guides but handle their own reservations. As a convenience you will find links to those below. ALBG bears no responsibility for the actions of these companies or consequences that may arise in your dealing with these organizations. The links are provided as a convenient courtesy. Just as you can hire an LBG to give you and your family a tour in your own vehicle, these companies hire our LBG’s to conduct tours using their own unique forms of transportation.